Sunday, December 15, 2013

Real Pancakes, Real Food!!

“There is hardship in everything except eating pancakes.” Charles H. Spurgeon


For our first assignment #overseas we were allowed to ship a certain amount of consumables.  This fact alone convinced me we were going to a real hardship post, a place where you could not even find the essentials.  I shipped cereal boxes, #pancake mix, can after can of olive oil, I basically bought half of Costco....

After a few weeks all my edible #consumables were stale, as high humidity was also a characteristic of this place.  This was a blessing in disguise because it steered me away from processed foods and forced me to cook from scratch.  If you wanted pizza without a curry topping, you had to make it yourself.  If you wanted NY #bagels...  My husband gave me a book called "The Best Bagels Are Made at Home", hint hint.

Of course you were able to find eggs, milk, flour, and fruits and vegetables were plentiful in the jungle-like weather of Southeast Asia.  So, I made my own pizza, my own bagels, and of course pancakes from scratch.  I never again worried about shipping consumables, I just consume what is available and enjoy the discovery that comes with going local.

REAL BANANA NUT BUTTERMILK PANCAKES RECIPE

 2 cups of flour
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk *
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons melted butter **
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 bananas cut into small pieces
2/3 cup walnuts

Mix dry ingredients.  Separately, mix wet ingredients.  Wisk dry into wet.  Mix well, let it rest for 15 minutes.  Make #pancakes on a frying pan or griddle.  If you want to keep the pancakes warm, put the platter where you'll serve them in the oven with the temperature on the lowest setting.  Place the pancakes that are ready in the platter and back in the oven until all your pancakes are ready for the table.  Beware, they are delicious!

Breakfast this morning!
 
*I never found buttermilk outside the U.S. so I just substitute with yogurt or milk with a few drops of lemon or lime (after 5 minutes it thickens enough to be used as buttermilk).  Both options are probably healthier.

** If you want to cut back on the butter, substitute it with apple sauce.  Tip learned from a health conscious Mexican friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment